Railroad workers monument
Stories from the United States' relationship with the Panama Canal, in celebration of its centenary
In 1867, the Panama Railroad workers were honored in a monument. Even though, the railroad was a complex and difficult work to finish, the monument was dedicated to three men who planned and financed the project. These three gentlemen were William H. Aspinwall, John L. Stephens and Henry Chauncey. The monument is a red granite pillar, with the engraved face of the three workers. In 1995, the monument was transferred to Colon’s entrance, where the American Historical Society dedicated it once more.