The Administration building
Stories from the United States' relationship with the Panama Canal, in celebration of its centenary
The Administration building was inaugurated on July 15, 1914, one month before the Canal. The building is located in the Ancon hillside; since its inauguration, very few aspects have changed. The administrator and sub administrator’s offices are located in the same place than 100 years ago. The original idea of centralizing all the operations related to the Canal came from George Washington Goethals in 1912. Austin W. Lord, from a New Yorker architecture firm, was brought to Panama for its construction. He not only designed the administration building with a renaissance architecture, but he also developed the design for the three control rooms that exists at the locks.