The Bridge of the Americas
Stories from the United States' relationship with the Panama Canal, in celebration of its centenary
The Bridge of the Americas is also called the Thatcher Ferry Bridge, was opened on October 12, 1962 in Balboa, Panama over the Pacific side of the Panama Canal. The bridge was originally called the Thatcher Ferry Bridge after the ferry that transported people and things from one side of the canal to the other. The bridge was designed by Suerdrup & Parcel, cost around 20 million dollars. The bridge is 1654m (5425ft) long and 10.4m (34ft) in diameter. In 1955 the US signed the Remón- Eisenhower treaty, committing them to building the bridge.